So you got the job…hey, CONGRATULATIONS! Here are some tips for those first few weeks:
1. Get to work 30 minutes early. That gives you time to get a bagel, review your "to do" list, and avoid the reputation of someone who breezes in at the last minute.
2. Overachieve: fill everyone’s "in box" with great work: get ahead of deadlines and put your best effort forward on every assignment: even the stupid boring ones.
3. Ask for help: if you have someone who can advise you or review important assignments use the help, not all the time, but on important assignments.
4. Take time to figure out the culture: you have to navigate the spoken, and unspoken, rules of an office. There is usually a lot of political drama under the surface.
5. Expect you will be ignored: you aren't a big shot yet. You are there to learn, not call the shots. Someday you will matter but humility will serve you well now.
6. Show gratitude: the more you thank people for their time or for giving you an opportunity the more your will reward the kind of behavior you want to evoke.
7. NEVER complain. Don't scold others and avoid criticism or back stabbing -- it could come back to haunt you.
8. Ask questions and show interest in what your colleagues and bosses are doing -- you may learn something.
9. Avoid frustration: you have more first line knowledge than management, especially if you have to implement bone headed decisions. Forget railing against the gods – rise to a place where you make the calls.
10. Focus on your career and how you can move from this job to the next rung of the latter -- HARD WORK and STRATEGY will win the day.
To subscribe to this blog click here.