Even if you can't rely on your crimson cape to fly you to work or scale the building when you get there, you can develop superpowers to land a job. Heres how.
1. Knowledge IS power.
Prepare for the job interview -- it will give you confidence and help you present as informed and, well, prepared!
- Before going to an interview learn as much about the job and the company as you can;
- Develop three or four talking points that emphasize how your abilities match the position;
- Practice speaking about your strengths until you are comfortable presenting them conversationally, and;
- Role-play with another person who can give honest feedback.
2. A strong silent type impresses.
Show up ready to win friends and influence people -- and LISTEN before you speak.
- The biggest mistake you can make in an interview is talking too much…they can always ask more questions but if you speak too long and too loud no one can hear you;
- Two ears, one mouth. Do the math. Listen before you speak, and;
- Listening gives you clues about what that person is looking for and can shape what you have practiced to meet those stated needs.
3. Since you aren't afraid of Kryptonite -- show off your humanity.
- Touch on soft skills – these include written and oral communication, the ability to negotiate, lead and work in a team (without top down direction) and flexibility;
- Share stories about past work experiences where you did a great job and be sure to send the message that you are easy to work with and eager for this job, and;
- Never disparage your current or previous jobs. Anything negative says more about you than it does them!
Not every interview will land a job but remember a superhero goes where others dare not tread. COURAGE will get your foot in the door and an opportunity to let your superpowers soar!
To subscribe to this blog click here.